Thursday, November 09, 2006

Just remove my voice box and put me out of my misery, already.

John Taylor was in the office yesterday. In the past, I have been prepared for such visits, so I lay out my clothes neatly the night before, I do something to my hair, I wear actual makeup, I explore quick teeth-whitening regimens, I make a list of three clever things to say in the event I get to speak to him. It's not that I think he's going to look at me and say, "There she is! My PRINCESS!" and sweep me off to Fiji or anything; it's just that, in the same way you don't want to look like crap when you run into the ex who really broke your heart, you don't want to look like a complete dirtbag the day you meet the guy whose picture was Scotch-taped to your bedroom ceiling for the duration of your entire youth. Luckily, I cut out carbs on Sunday so I felt less bloated.

He was here with his wife, Gela, who created the Juicy Couture clothing line, and her son. (Yes, she created her son, but I meant to say that her son accompanied them. Oh, whatever.) I stood back and gawked for a while — I've met him a couple times in the past two years so I didn't feel a need to stalk him completely — but then I was encouraged to, basically, chase after him. I met the family (his wife is AWESOME and I feel completely comfortable that he takes her to Fiji instead of me) and I managed to say some of the dumbest things I've ever said to anybody in my entire life. For example:

ME: So, I saw you guys in Chicago last week.
HIM: Oh, you did? What were you doing in Chicago?
ME: Um, you were playing in Chicago last week ...
HIM: (realizing I flew halfway across the country just to see him play) Ohhhhh.
ME: Yeah. I'm one of those.

(Later)

HIM: So did you see us during the tour last year?
ME: Of course I did.
HIM: What did you think of the Chicago show in comparison to those shows?
ME: Well, you're always great.
HIM: (laughing) You have no critical barometer, do you?
ME: No. No, I don't.

To be honest, the Chicago show was great but not as exhilarating as the shows last year, so it's not like I was going to say that. (Part of it was that I found the crowd to be lame.) I was just tongue-tied and 12 all over again. But, as always, he was lovely and gracious and funny and gorgeous. I, however, achieved a level of dorkdom I hadn't known since I passed Matt Berke a note asking him to be my boyfriend after General Swim at camp in sixth grade. I went home and ate a bowl of pasta.

In other news, I read a great quote by Al Gore today: "Common sense is not as common as it should be." True that.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So now Gore is bastardizing Voltaire quotes?

12:15 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

Absolutely, but at least this time he said it in print (Wired magazine) instead of on the Internet that he invented.

4:05 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

(By the way, I had a feeling the quote came from somewhere else, but I couldn't remember who said it and couldn't be bothered to look it up. Lazy.)

4:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home