Saturday, May 09, 2009

Cereal Killer

In the vestibule of our building, there's a table upon which we leave ignored newspapers and yet-to-be-claimed packages and magazines that won't fit into the wee mailboxes. Last week, somebody left a box of cereal on the table for anyone to take, with a Post-it stating they didn't like it and maybe someone else would.

The cereal box was very colorful, with what appeared to be cartoony fronds on it.

The cereal was made by a company called EnviroKidz. (Don't even get me started on the "z." I have rage.) It is gluten-free, organic cereal.

It is called Peanut Butter Panda Puffs.

Here's my question: Of all the cereals in the grocery store, with all the options of getting-better-tasting organic foods, how did it happen that this was the one that was considered potentially delicious? And it's not even so much because it's organic or fun-free, which I do not frown upon under any circumstances: It's because it's peanut butter cereal.

I love peanut butter in pretty much any form. I love cereal in pretty much any form. Even when it's soggy (and, in the case of Froot Loops and — controversial! — Raisin Bran, I prefer it soggy). I will eat a peanut butter sandwich for pretty much any meal, and I will eat cereal for pretty much any meal. If your desert-island food is cereal, you can't go wrong and you can live a long, happy life — I guess assuming you don't need milk, because the refrigeration logistics on a desert island are not favorable to dairy products. And you might die of loneliness. Anyway. I digress.

However:

Peanut butter is not good in cereal. No exceptions. I wanted to write "Duh" on the Post-it.

Other food combinations I do not understand, despite the fact that I love one or more elements of these partnerships, but not together:

Hot sauce on eggs
Mayonnaise on fries
Vinegar- or ketchup-flavored chips
Three-cheese anything
Dried fruit that is infused with the flavor of another fruit
Coffee-flavored cake
Champagne-flavored soda (this was a very, very, very unsuccessful experiment, probably because on the bottle, cola was spelled kola)

What about you? What will you refuse to eat together? Or, like, in a sandwich?

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristina said...

I like peanut butter, too, but agree that peanut butter cereal is horrid.

I actually like vinegar flavored chips, but don't understand ketchup-flavored. But what do I know, because I also like hot sauce on eggs...

Champagne flavored soda? So, it's still bubbly, won't get you tipsy and has 12 tablespoons more sugar? Yum?

I can't comprehend bleu cheese. I love spicy foods, and I guess I understand the theory that a "cool" flavor complements. But I hate bleu cheese.

BTW, I was supposed to be gardening now. But it's raining, despite the little animated sun on my Google weather page.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Bethany Dubbins said...

I can't really think of any food partnerships that inherently bother me (oops, wait, I lied... I cannot stand peanut butter M&Ms but I love peanut M&Ms) - but don't get me started on food word partnerships gone awry. We don't need to keep on talking about the grossness of saying egg salad sandwich. Or whipped topping. Or moist loaf. I don't care what the heck's in the moist loaf; I just refuse to eat it period.

Apple Jacks must be crunchy but Fruit Loops can be soggy. And Raisin Bran has to be soggy. That's not controversial; it's just a fact.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

Kristina: SO TRUE about bleu cheese. Ugh, I think it's disgusting. My dad loves it, and I did not inherit that trait. I don't understand how it improves the flavor of anything. Also: Don't you get excited when it rains on days you were supposed to garden? I feel like it's a free pass. You get out of doing a tedious chore but you don't feel like a flake because the decision was taken out of your hands.

Steph: Is our fondness for soggy Raisin Bran a rebellion from Dad's fondness for Grape Nuts?

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo but dis is fur real - fryed waffles wiff bakon is dope. dass all im saying.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home