Tuesday, September 05, 2006

One day more, I will floss.

It's been a helluva day at work today. It's Labor Day, stories are late, John Mayer is doughy, the Crocodile Hunter has been stabbed through the heart by an animal I once held gingerly in my hands for five minutes, they gave us apple strudel for dinner, it's MADNESS!

My lovely friend Kevin just came by my desk. Kevin, who has been ensconced in his office for so long that for a moment I wondered if he was out of the office on vacation. I've been here for more than 11 hours and haven't seen him once. He looked mightily unhappy.

ME: I haven't seen you all day!
HIM: At the moment, I am the touring company of "Les Miz."
ME: You're Jean Valjean!
HIM: I am currently master of the house AND on my own.

Anybody who can make "Les Miserables" funny and entertaining has to be my friend. Because it sucked.

Also, Lisa just tied her sweater around her head like a bubushka and we broke out into a rousing rendition of "Anatevka." It's Broadway night here at Us Cheekly, and we're leaving the stage lights on for YOU! I must say, I was the true embodiment of Topol.

Lisa and I saw "Half Nelson" yesterday. How was I not aware of the power of the Gosling? He played a crack addict who, when not high, I might consider dating; how did that happen? The unsavory characters in this film were all were somehow likable, sort of like bad good guys who you hoped were more than their sins and it was all a matter of which side of their personalities would win out in the end. Shareeka Epps has these beautiful bow-shaped lips that she pursed so tight because she was such a tough kid, but she so easily burst into smile. You see so many precocious kids onscreen who are portrayed as hardened badasses before their time, like it's almost a quest for them to not show their teeth. Shareeka Epps didn't fight it: She could fend for herself and claim her own dignity but still embrace a moment and let her guard down, because she wasn't about her guard and knew that putting it aside would never be a sign of weakness. I loved the film because I didn't know how I was supposed to feel about what I was seeing, I just knew that I was rooting for everybody. Ryan Gosling is magnetic.

I have a dentist appointment tomorrow. To prepare, I started to floss yesterday. They're totally not going to be able to tell I slacked! Right? Right?!?

Whatever: I'm usually diligent about my teeth, but I have completely failed them this go-round and am not looking forward to the talking-to I'm sure to receive. I must remember: This is a world in which I feel guilty for not flossing on a regular basis, but my dentist has a client who refuses to brush his teeth at all so he goes for cleanings once a month and makes the hygenist do it. I am so not that gross, m'kay?

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

les miz sucked? them's fighting words, missy.

1:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

girl, this blog is fantabulous. i wants to be your friend.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

girl, this blog is fantabulous. i wants to be your friend.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

girl, this blog is fantabulous. i wants to be your friend.

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6hBN39Xijc

1:24 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

That Diana Ross video is AMAZING. I've only watched the first minute and a half or so, but it made me long for the days of concerts where the star would enter from the audience. Reminds me of the singers who used to start every song with their backs facing the audience, like, "Ooh! I wonder who that is onstage! Who's singing the Rick Springfield song I came to the Rick Springfield concert to hear? [star turns around, just as he starts with the lyrics] Why, it's Rick Springfield! I never would have guessed!"

Ahh, good times. Can't wait to watch the rest of that video and see how Larry Hagman fits into the scenario.

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do watch the rest. and i hope you enjoy.

and, since you asked...here is how larry hagman fits in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKuxBGyDiIg

and in case you were curious, michael jackson, when he was still michael jackson. and still black.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NwAkrnhERw

and girl, i DO know what you mean bout making an entrance. stars today are all fakers. do you think miss britney spears could pull something like that off? no way, hony. no way.
peace.

9:18 PM  
Blogger Lisa Rosman said...

for the record, let it be known that my goal is to get the entire copy and research department to participate in a rousing rendition of fiddler meets le miz meets (wait for it) West Side Story.
Fascinating.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Marla said...

Yes! With a little bit of A Chorus Line thrown in there, because at 1 a.m., we could use a little bit of revival.

And ... scene.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home