Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Nourishment.

Pictures!

In early March, Lisa landed in the hospital in Boston. Due to the extreme suckage of the situation, I hopped on a train and headed up there, perhaps for the express purpose of doing Mad Libs with a person who has an extensive vocabulary, and also is dirty — the two chief necessities of the perfect Mad Lib.

Here's Lisa in her hospital bed, wearing hospital-issue gauze underpants on her head. As one might be inclined to do.



An unidentifiable dinner was served



and after being unable to decide what was mucked into the bread (we think it was a tuna melt, but it looked like cheese phlegm that had been abandoned in the middle of the desert for 10 years and then kicked around by restless camels), I went with Stephanie, who had driven over from Marblehead, to pick up dinner from a restaurant that doesn't recycle toe jam and glom it into a bun.

After dinner, Steph and I threw our garbage away in the kitchen down the hall. This is the sign outside the kitchen:



Inside Nourishment was a fridge, a microwave (or, as my grandmother called it, a micro-oven), a trolley for dirty trays and other refuse, and an ice machine that shoots cubes out with the force and urgency of a cruise missile.

Lisa was released the next day and we went to lunch across the street from this fine establishment:



I think the duct tape makes it so supersavvy.

I was lucky to have spent the night in Marblehead at Steph's place. Marblehead is about a million years old (well, several hundred, which in American terms equals a million) and historical and lovely.





If it was good enough for the Seed King



it's good enough for a Garfield.

The next weekend, I went to Providence, Rhode Island. It's a really picturesque city that's growing rapidly — there was construction everywhere. Lots of history, good food, funky college campuses. The drivers, however, are insane, and the hotel concierge took it upon himself to tell me that I shouldn't be surprised by any rudeness, as Rhode Islanders have "cold, black hearts." Well then.

I loved exploring the area. Any city founded on the promise of religious freedom is a city I can get behind, and any city with a public outdoor ice skating rink is all right in my book. Although I'm not quite sure what the young lady on the right is doing.



The first Baptist church in the United States









Chilly.











Brown University ... was. It was just the time of year, everything was dead, but the architecture was beautiful.



Student bulletin board



Trash cans for recyclables



A nice touch: Around the city, ordinary street signs were paired with signs displaying different emotions. Maybe because the drivers are so angry.





In early May, Lisa and I went to the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.



Should you ever visit a botanic garden, go in early May. The cherry blossoms, lilacs and peonies were all in bloom and the fragrance of the entire park was just ... I've never smelled anything like it.

New York City, people.











Orange fish in a black pond.



This is the spot where Josh proposed to me:



It's an orchid display in a greenhouse. He proposed indoors because it was January and everything outside was dead. J'adore romance.



Under the cherry blossoms







Oy, the lilacs.







Smellin' and sniffin'.











A few days later, Josh and I went for burgers at Big Nick's and gelato at Grom. Grom is a new joint on the Upper West Side that charges obscene amounts of money for small amounts of dairy product and the line out the front door runs down the block. It was 100 percent worth it. Delicious.







On a totally unrelated note, Craig Ferguson is on TV right now discussing where Nerf may have come from. I'm in love.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

savvy hair design is one of my favorite embellishments.

-kris

2:01 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

It must be because they only want to give you pleashaaaaaaah.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. You didn't mention how you saw me outside of Grom that day :-p
2. I too am in love with Craig Ferguson. I'm still steaming from the fact that he in turn didn't fall madly in love with me when we met at his book signing last year.

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home