Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Decision '08

I do not understand Excitable Oration Voice. You know the one: when a politician approaches the end of a sentence and the crowd starts going wild and the politician gets louder and raises his/her arms awkwardly until his/her suit jacket's shoulder pads smoosh into his/her neck until his/her ears go missing, probably so he/she can drown out his/her own Excitable Oration Voice.

Campaigning is all about trying to make people like you. But in order to do this, you apparently must speak in sounds loud and monotone and louder and more monotone and EVEN LOUDER AND EXTREMELY MONOTONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Therefore, by using the transitive property, I have deduced that in order to influence the electorate and appear qualified for certain jobs and challenges, one must employ the two most irritating speech intonations known to man/woman. How is this useful?

In other news, it's my turn to be Super-of-the-Month. (I live in a five-apartment brownstone with no landlord, so each unit takes turns doing menial chores, including taking out the garbage, mopping the vestibule floor, clearing away leaves and shoveling snow.) Without fail, whenever somebody in my building has a baby or it snows, thereby presenting the messiest and smelliest clean-ups, it's my turn to be Super-of-the-Month. So naturally, it snowed yesterday. I woke up at 7 this morning to shovel the front stoop and sidewalk, but the warm rain did most of the work. Even so, I'm thrilled. We haven't had any kind of substantial snow yet this year, and this former Detroiter doesn't believe winter is winter until a snowflake touches the ground and stays there for at least a few minutes. So I took pictures, including one of a four-inch-tall snowman sitting on top of a picnic table.

This also reminds me of Friday's Merriam-Webster Word of the Day:

sitzmark \SITS-mark\ noun
: a depression left in the snow by a skier falling backward


I love words that sound like sniglets.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger SMLP said...

OMG (oh Lord, did I just say "OMG"?) Sniglets!!! Favorites include: "Essoasso" (person who cuts through a service station to avoid a red light), "Cinemuck" (the collective snack waste that sticks to your shoes as you exit a movie theater), "Potentater" (largest fry in a carton of fries) and "Minutater" (smallest fry in a carton of fries).

2:42 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

My favorite was always flen, which is the crusty grossness found around the mouth of a ketchup bottle.

2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home