Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Well, now I feel stupid.

As opposed to how I usually feel, I guess.

Because:

1. I left work at 6 tonight and ended up buying a Journey double CD that I never knew I needed, and then

2. I came home to find that the door to our garden had been blown open during the day and our apartment was an icebox, so I

3. Checked that the cats were OK, which they were, seemingly, although

4. Nora kept rolling around, meowing incessantly, and she had kitty litter all over her fur because she wasn't extending her legs, so then

5. I brushed her off and then climbed under a warm blanket, until

6. Josh came home from work and we decided to light a fire in the fireplace, except

7. When he went to open the flue, he saw that the cover was broken off its hinges and was being propped up by a lever and was, therefore, not fully opened or closed, so then

8. I made plans to call the chimney people to fix it, all the while

9. The apartment wasn't warming up, so we turned up the heat, and then

10. The radiator started spewing hot water into the air and into the wood floors, and in the middle of all this

11. We noticed that Nora still wasn't walking with her hind legs extended and she kept dropping to the floor, rolling around, meowing like crazy and she randomly fell off the kitchen counter, and in the meantime

12. Josh had gone to the pharmacy with our new insurance card and had been rejected so he couldn't get his pills, and if that wasn't enough

13. We realized we had to take Nora to the vet because her meowing was getting alarming and she seemed really uncomfortable, so we

14. Piled into a car, went to the vet, told them our spiel and found out that

15. Nora is in heat. There's nothing wrong with her legs. And we are stupid. The vet laughed at us.

16. At least they didn't charge us for the appointment.

17. But they are going to talk about us tomorrow. The two douches who brought in their cat because they thought she strained a muscle and it turns out she's just really horny.

18. Now we're eating cookies.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Lisa Rosman said...

to quote the oft-deployed guggenheim phrase, "wow. woooooow. wow."

um, bring in the journey cd cuz no one leaves journey in the corner. mama's hard drive needs THAT sucker.

yrs,
the red-manicured one.
xx

12:07 AM  
Blogger SMLP said...

Sorry for the stress, but even more importantly...

...I too recently purchased Journey's Greatest Hits thanks to a fabulous iTunes gift card from my boss ;-)

You never realize how much you like Journey until you go see a Journey cover band where the lead singer really looks and sounds like Steve Perry (this is what happens when you marry a guy who works for a U2 tribute band...you become a VIP at other tribute band shows).

Although, truth be told, my favorite Steve Perry song is "Oh, Sherry," and that's not even a Journey song (the cover band played it anyway. You know why? Because it rocks! ;-)).

11:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Don't stop believing" that Journey's Greatest Hits isn't a necessary addition to ones c.d. collection.

Your day was very tiring... it kind of sounded like Nora had meningitis... I think the douches in this scenario are at the vets office and not you and Josh. I think they misdiagnosed her. Do they give her a valium for something like that?

Mmmm... cookies.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Amy Gers said...

Was the door open so Nora could go out and find herself some lovin'? You're gonna be a grandma!!!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

The beauty of all of this is that with the exception of the Journey purchase, it all happened between 7:30 p.m. and 10 p.m. In two and a half hours, my cat broke, my chimney broke, my radiator broke, and our insurance broke. I give up.

Wheel in the sky keeps on turnin', indeed.

My mom always used to watch the "Oh, Sherry" video and say, in her greatest Mom Jeans voice, "That Steve Perry is VERY talented." I did like that song, but I couldn't watch the video because of Sherry's red tights with white flecks and mousy white dress combo. So I sat there with my eyes closed. Perfect example of bad video wardrobe almost destroying a song. I suppose Steve Perry's uncomfortably tight-crotched jeans made up for it.

4:39 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

Amy, thank all that is holy that she couldn't get out. There are two doors that go outside: One is iron and screen, and it has a hefty lock. The one on the inside of the apartment has a window and a dead-bolt and is otherwise solid. We open that door sometimes to expose the screen door so we can air out the apartment, especially in the winter when we feel claustrophobic. Josh had closed the inside door last weekend but didn't bolt it, and the wind that came through the screen door yesterday pushed it open.

There is a neighbor cat, Dover, who is quite the ladies' man, but I think he's neutered. Gwendolyn played hard to get with him, but when he was finally all, "Yo, I ain't gonna play that" and stopped flirting with her, she got all sad and whiny. We were all, "That's what you get when you're a tease, honey." I can't wait for the girls to meet him. There's gonna be some heavy flirting through that screen door.

5:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is your cat not spayed? Irresponsible pet ownership. I'm surprised the vet didn't lecture you about that.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

Don't be so quick to judge: The vet did not have to lecture us.

They're both getting spayed this month, and they've been long scheduled to do so. Part of the shelter's adoption fee is spaying/neutering; they have vets who come to the shelter once a month to do it (the shelter also has a vet on staff). They were supposed to be spayed two weeks after we adopted them, but they were still so sick from their respiratory infections (kennel cough) that everybody (including the folks at the shelter) thought it would be wise to wait until they were stronger, off their antibiotics and less traumatized, as they'd had to spend a few nights at the vet and we had to re-establish our bond with them, which was still new to begin with.

Most vets say you should spay your pets at around six months of age, but it's OK to do it younger. We were going to do it at four, and now we're doing it at around five or so. When Josh adopted Gwendolyn, she was about a year old, so she'd already been spayed.

I think that spaying and neutering your pets is a "duh" thing, even though I know that some people inexplicably don't do it. Never thought it would be assumed I wouldn't be doing it for my own. I would never not "fix" my pet, especially living in a large city where so many strays need homes. (Hence, why I adopted two strays.)

The vet did ask if we had any virile males in the house. I pointed to Josh and said, "Just him." Josh was all, "Ew." But we right away told her that Nora and Tallulah were indoor cats and aren't at risk for pregnancy, and never will be.

It's very common for cats to go into heat before they're spayed, since they go into heat at around five months or so and many people fix their pets at around six months. It's safer to do the procedure when their uteruses are not engorged. The vet said we're right on schedule. We think Tallulah went into heat the day after Nora did, so she's on the right track, too.

So, yeah. There you have it. Irresponsible pet ownership.

5:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm laughing so hard that I'm crying. Don't you love days like that? You are hysterical.
Hope everything got fixed.
Stacy
www.aboutthelarsons.com

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home