Thursday, July 24, 2008

But I might go back off pizza. I think I just don't like the stuff.

On Friday, after four months of waiting since he was hired, Josh's paperwork went through for his job. This means the City of New York finished their background check, processed his paperwork, approved his employment and put him on salary. He's all set. No more temping, yay excellent benefits, the professional transition from working in the music industry to going back to school to looking for a job in the nonprofit sector is over for him. Biggest relief ever.

Also on Friday, about an hour after Josh called to tell me his hiring went through, I got an e-mail that Stacy, my very oldest and dearest friend since we were six years old, gave birth to her first baby, a healthy, gorgeous boy. She did this after a 31-hour labor. Without drugs. A startling physical accomplishment if I've ever heard of one. She's incredible. Also, she's a mom. Amazing.

Also on Friday, after believing I'd had a dream in which my very favorite news anchor, Sue Simmons (well, my favorite news anchor next to Pat Kiernan; my heart belongs to Pat Kiernan), announced that the FDA had lifted the tomato ban, I found that it was actually true. So after not having touched them for weeks because I've had salmonella before and I do not want it again, I ate my first tomato. It was positively orgasmic. Not eating tomatoes was much more difficult than I thought it would be, and I was deeply impressed by a food discipline that I have never exhibited with any other cuisine in my life, save for not eating a slice of pizza for 12 years and not touching red meat since 1994.

Also on Friday, the bad karmavators — two elevators at the end of my office's elevator-bank hallway that some of my coworkers believe bestow bad luck onto anybody who rides them that day (as proven by the Early 2008 Olsen Twin Fashion Police Debacle) — never once opened for me. Usually they are the only two elevators that ever open when I want to go anywhere (usefully, up or down), and no matter how long I wait for another elevator to come, it's always those two that I'm destined to ride. Not on Friday.

Friday was the best day ever.

I bought a lottery ticket.

I lost.

That's OK. My husband has a salary. I can eat tomatoes. Every ride I took basked in my good luck. And my best friend is a mother.

I win.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

congrats dear marler, great news about josh's job! mazel!

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home