Saturday, October 11, 2008

The best. Maybe ever.

On Monday, this happened:



This is maybe the greatest thing ever.

On October 6 — her 31st birthday — my younger sister Stephanie became a mother to her first baby, my parents' first grandchild, and the first Garfield-born boy since my grandparents had my dad in 1944: Alexander Jacob. The turkey weighed 9 pounds, 1 ounce, and was 21 inches long. I went to Boston for his birth, came back to New York on Wednesday, and am on my way back to Boston tomorrow. I fully expect him to be walking and enrolled in a four-year college by the time I get there in the afternoon, gifted as he is. This will all happen if I don't eat his face first.

It really is so tremendous. He's sweet as can be, Stephanie did fabulous, and I'm smitten. He has a perfectly round head, wee chicken feet, and a leetle leetle butt. Oy, this baby. I've quickly become That Person Who Doesn't Shut Up About the Freakin' Baby Already. I make no apologies.

So, well, preoccupied. There's lots to write, lots of pictures to post, lots to say, so I'll get it all down when I come back from Bahstin. But first: The Nephew.

(FYI: I have been anointed Auntie Boo. This is a play on a nickname I've had ever since the day I was born, when my parents introduced me to Jennifer by saying, "Jennifer, this is your sister, Marla Leslie," and Jen said, "Ooh! Marlie Boolise!" As one would. She was 2 1/2. So I've been some variation of Boolise ever since. I told Steph that Auntie Boo sounds like the batty afghan-wearing aunt who has lots of cats and perfumes her house with patchouli, but I'll happily own the name and any afghans that come with it. Josh, on the other hand, was struck with an almost paralyzing jealousy that I get a Special Name, so he's chosen to be Uncle Jsh, so as not to encumber the infant with the burden of vowels at such a young age. As a grammar professional, I thought that was very sensitive of him.)

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Mollie said...

Oh my goodness MARLA he is SO CUTE AND TINY! Congratulations! (Oct. 6 is my little brother's birthday. Good day.)

8:51 AM  
Blogger Kristina said...

Ooooh, Auntie Boo and Uncle Jsh, congratulations! Alexander is beautiful and clearly a genius, and destined to be grandly spoiled with so many "firsts" to his name already.

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with everything that everybody's said. Yes, he IS so cute and, yes, October 6th is a good day and, yes, he IS beautiful and, yes, he is CLEARLY a genius... My little man.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home