Friday, June 26, 2009

Thoughts on the Passing

Like everybody else, I was shocked to hear Michael Jackson died. I wasn't surprised — between the well-known addiction to painkillers; the surgeries; the gaunt frame; the overwhelming stress of lawsuits, debt and living inside his own head, it wasn't hard to imagine that something, eventually, was going to give and his body would be unable to withstand it — but I was shocked. I never thought about him dying. So surreal.

Also like everybody else of my generation, I taught myself the "Thriller" dance and awesomed-out in front of my TV back when MTV used to play videos. I engaged in Global Thermonuclear War against my sister Stephanie when we shared a bedroom in order to claim prime wall space for my favorite Michael Jackson poster (see previous post). I had a jacket that turned into a bag, but when it wasn't folded up, I called it my Michael Jackson jacket because it had zippers and piping and pointy shoulders. I tried to moonwalk and failed miserably. I voted for "Beat It" to win "Friday Night Video Fights." I watched the video for "Say, Say, Say" and wondered what ever happened to all the dancing hobos in the world.

Michael Jackson defined the pop culture of my youth just as much as John Hughes movies, Simon Le Bon Teen Beat posters, lace Madonna gloves, The Karate Kid, "Jessie's Girl," Henry Thomas's uttering of "penis-breath" and K-tel's Hit Explosion did. And the music in his heyday was great. The videos were legendary. For a long time, he was arguably the most famous person on the planet. But I'm uncomfortable with all the adulation of Michael Jackson in the wake of his death. It's important to acknowledge and pay respect to what he contributed to music and pop culture, but the adult he became doesn't change just because he died, contrary to those who are extolling his virtue despite four days ago believing he was a pedophile. And I'm not understanding the disconnect. Outside of the actual sadness of the loss of a person, deaths of icons are always fascinating when millions who long ceased celebrating them before their death line the streets in tears after. Michael Jackson was astoundingly talented, but he was also a mess, and talent does not make somebody an unassailable person.

Nobody is arguing the veracity of Michael Jackson's harrowing, truncated childhood. Joe and Katherine Jackson were shitty parents. They just were. It's true that their shitty parenting brought forth "The Love You Save," which, please, best song ever, but yeah, some people are just bad parents. So it was understandable that he'd have a yearning to re-create his childhood, live out the play he missed, and suffer while he admittedly lacked the ability to relate to people offstage. But Michael Jackson's re-created childhood as an adult lasted far longer than any person's childhood does when they are a child, and despite having kids of his own, he relinquished the responsibilities of an adult — which were lifted from his lap by people surrounding him who were happy to take on that burden. How sad that a man who had all the access in the world to all the best, most effective forms of therapy seemed to get worse and worse, more and more detached, and might not have even known how to engage because his life was spent embedded with these "yes" people whose livelihoods depended on him not changing much at all.

Change is terrifying when you only know one way to live, even if that way of living makes you miserable.

As far as I saw it, as a person who will never know what went on behind those doors, what that environment created was, on a good day, a grown man whose relationship with and affection for children was inappropriate, and on a bad day a grown man who may have been a child molester. I believe he was, others don't; perhaps that's the dividing line between who feels unbridled emotion right now and who doesn't. Maybe we'll never know if he was, depending on what the confidentiality agreements say — and even then, most families who sent their children to Neverland were such opportunists, who knows if they're telling the truth. But what I do believe is that Michael Jackson was so sick, so wanting to be someone else that he changed his entire physical self, so used to being used, such a complicated human being who might have never had the support system he needed or who rejected the strong, good-hearted efforts made toward him, that he should have been hospitalized so he could work with professionals who had his best mental and physical interests at heart, away from everyone else's desires of him. His demons — including substance abuse, which is its own evil animal — went far beyond any saving well-intentioned loved ones could accomplish.

I absolutely believe that no matter what happens to a person as a child, there comes a time in adulthood when they have to stop blaming everyone else and take responsibility for where they are and how they've responded to what happened to them, even if there's no justice or closure or apology. That's not to say everything is surmountable — this is absolutely a simplified version of an idealized adulthood, and Michael Jackson's adulthood was anything but simple — but you owe it to yourself, your family and, if you commit to the responsibility of having them, your children to do your damndest to try. Especially if you have children. Easier said than done for an armchair shrink, right? I wonder how far Michael Jackson traveled along that road — perhaps that's why he wanted to be a father — or was he was just too lost, stuck, afraid and invested in living the dangerous, stunted, damaged life he did because, to him, it was safe even when it wasn't safe? And if he did do the things he was accused of, well, that makes sympathy that much more complicated.

What is heartbreaking about all of this is that many of us have watched a large part of the living of a very sad, bizarre life. In whichever stages of his career or our evolving tastes, he made an awful lot of people happy, yet he was clearly so very unhappy and uneasy with the world. We're all on a quest for happiness — that's the motivating factor for every decision we make, happiness and love — and it requires a lot of work and luck to find it. Whatever happiness Michael Jackson did find in his life, it's too sad that there was so much else that was missing and askew, and for his three children, I hope that in time they find the happiness and stability their father never did.

Labels: ,

23 Comments:

Anonymous Your favorite older sister said...

So beautifully written my sistah - so beautifully written!!!!!

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this rite here is juss a hole of boll shit. you needs to RESPECK mikel jackson. not say he things he ain't and that no CORT OF LAWS was able to proov or convicts.

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with almost everything you said, except for one thing. You write most eloquently. I guess that is why you are an editor and I am not. The only thing that I question is whether or not...Michael is guilty of child molestation. I honestly believe he was a gentle soul who would never hurt a fly. He loved children. One of the boys who claimed that Michael molested him has now recanted it, but because of those confidentiality agreements, we will never know for certain. It is also true that Michael had a horrible role model to look up to. Joseph Jackson... not only verbally and physically abused Michael, but also put undue pressure on him to be perfect. Joseph would beat him to a point where Michael would throw up before performances. Joseph was a control freak who tried to manage every aspect of Michael's life. He told Michael he had a big nose and referred to him as "crater face" when Michael was a young boy. This was part of the reason Michael developed such self-loathing. Lisa Marie Presley says that her marriage to Michael was not a sham, but he was so ashamed of his appearance...he had to wear makeup when sleeping with her. She also says that their marriage was consummated, and that Michael loved her as much as anyone could, and she deeply loved him. She also said that she tried to save him when his life was spinning out of control, but he had reached a point of no return. She had to leave him because she was losing her own identity. Didn't mean to ramble here so much. I just wanted you to know that Michael was a mixed up guy who honestly was one of the most caring people on the planet. He gave so much to charity. This is why he received a posthumous humanitarian award. Let's reflect on his positive contribution to society. His children adored him with a passion. Believe it or not, he was a good role model for them. I hope, as you do, that they will be happy and successful in life. It will be interesting to see who their new parent(s) are.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

Anonymous #2: I agree with much of what you very beautifully said. All of those very sad facts about his life are unfortunately true. But I do believe Michael Jackson molested those children. I believe that a person can be capable of expressing great love, and I believe that that person can also do horrible things to others. People are not one or the other, good or bad, lawful or unlawful. People can be both. I do believe that Michael Jackson was a philanthropic person and loved people as much as he knew how, but I also believe that his demons — and, more pointedly, his drug addiction — were too strong and he did do terrible things. Maybe by touching those boys he thought he was expressing love, so distorted was his grasp of reality.

He was incredibly rich, and money makes victims recant their stories. Guilty men and women walk out of courtrooms all the time. I don't think a court of law has much bearing on whether a person is guilty or not, so flawed is our justice system. The two men who killed my grandfather walked out of a courtroom free men, and I can't begin to tell you what that has done to my family.

With due respect to Anonymous #2, I don't think that just because Michael Jackson was talented or showed his humanitarian side means we're beholden to remember only the good in him. I loved his music. I loved watching him dance. But I haven't bought a record of his in 100 years because of what I believe he was doing outside of singing and dancing. He was not superhuman. He was human. A deeply talented, deeply flawed human. Many people think it's blasphemy to think of him as anything other than godlike right now, and I don't understand what makes him above how you'd think of your own loved ones. Someone in your family dies, you remember what you loved about them, and you also remember the moments when they were difficult, greedy, unreasonable, insensitive. It might make you uncomfortable to remember those things while you're in mourning, but your loved one was three-dimensional and you inevitably remember the good with the bad. Why is Michael Jackson above that?

What stuck out for me about Lisa Marie Presley's statement is that she said she had to leave Michael because he was so wrapped up in addiction that she had to save her children first, and save herself. He wasn't allowing anybody to help him, he wasn't trying to get better, and there was nothing more she could do. A person who doesn't want to be saved cannot be saved. Addiction absolutely destroys relationships because the person who is using is not himself and cannot be reasoned with. An addict does not think like a rational human being because the most important thing to him is the drug. Everything else is secondary at best. Michael Jackson had a skewed sense of reality and such a loose grasp on how to conduct relationships to begin with; throw addiction into the mix and you have ... whatever he may have done. It's not appealing to think about, especially if you're his fan and would like to remain so. But I guess I don't understand how people can look at all of his years of erratic, confusing behavior; extravagant lifestyle; and extreme self-hatred and believe he was capable of things that were only good. He was so much more complicated than that.

Anonymous #2, I too worry about those kids. I didn't watch the memorial, but I saw on the news clips of Paris speaking and it just made me even more angry. He clearly was not a bad father because those kids by all appearances and reports are wonderful children. But watching her made me blind with rage at him for so abusing his body that he left those poor kids without a parent. And now look at what they're facing.

The whole thing is just so sad.

11:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No love for Anonymouses 1 & 3? Heartless, I say. Heartless.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Marla said...

Well, I certainly agree with #3, who did well voicing the ... passionate oomph ... side of our opinion. I totally get behind what they're saying, even if I'd express it with a different kind of passionate oomph. And who can disagree with #1's eloquence and respect for the written word? I just can't even think of anything to say that would do #1 justice. I shall allow the beauty to speak for itself. Anything I could say would just be a hole of boll shit.

God, I really wish you guys would use names. This Anonymous thing is making me mental.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, This anonymous #2 again (sorry for not using a name - that might change eventually)
I agree with all that you said in your response to my blog. However, I am still not 100% convinced about the molestation charges. I have never had an addiction, but know that the pain which Michael endured was excruiating (fire, leg injury, spine injury) and it just exacerbated all of his other issues. I honestly believe that the whole family needed therapy. Do all the siblings appear to be normal, well-adjusted, adults? Michael also suffered from an eating disorder which can cause brain damage, and a distorted view of life. This stemmed from the lack of control he had over things. I also believe that Michael may have had two personalities because he couldn't cope with some things which occurred in his childhood. He predicted that he would die as he did, and when it would occur. As you put it, it is just too sad. Sorry to hear about your grandfather. Karma still exists.

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous #2 (and #1 for that matter assuming I was able to decode WTF he/she was trying to say): you are in denial. Michael Jackson was sick and suffering and when he wasn't numbing his pain with drugs or cosmetic surgery he was imposing it on innocent children the same way his bat-shit crazy father imposed it on him. This does not diminish the import or impact of Billie Jean. But the import and impact of Billie Jean does not negate the fact that he was a pedophile.

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are probably right, but where is the proof? One is still innocent until proven guilty. I know what is like to have an innocent person pay for a crime he did not commit and how it makes you question what kind of justice system we have. I speak from experience, and wanted to tell you that there are always three sides to every story. His, that of the other person, and the truth. This is anonymous number #2 btw.

5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are three sides to every story. His, that of the other person, and the truth. Michael might be guilty. I just don't think that he deserves to be put in the same category as OJ. I have seen many innocent people pay for a crime which they did not commit and have to question the justice system. I am open-minded enough to believe that Michael was capable of almost anything when his life was spinning out of control. However, this does not negate the fact that his doctors contributed to his problems by supplying him with painkillers, and performing unnecessary surgery. There is no question in my mind that Michael needed therapy. If he received it in a timely fashion, perhaps he would not have self-destructed and hurt others in the process.
Anonymous #2

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to weigh in. I guess this makes me Anonymous #4 (or #5 – I am not sure if anyone has double posted. Please note, however, I am NOT Anonymous #1):

Okay - no one is calling him OJ. No one is suggesting that Michael Jackson savagely beat and murdered two people, lied about it, and 15 years later remains utterly unrepentant. But Michael has stated publicly on several occasions that he saw nothing wrong with sleeping in the same bed with young boys, hugging them, tucking them in and cuddling with them. If President Obama, former President Clinton, Tiger Woods, Anderson Cooper, Bill Maher, Simon Cowell, Brad Pitt or Sean P. Diddy Combs said that they regularly slept in the same bed with young boys and that it was all sorts of innocent and that the world should mind its own damn business, what kind of outrage do you expect that would elicit?

I am willing to believe that Michael was able to convince himself that there was no sinister component to what he was doing; that he believed what he was doing was pure and innocent and loving and harmless. But his belief alone does not make it so. There was a time when the world’s population believed that the earth was flat. It is not. What is most problematic about Michael’s behavior is that in spite of the public outrage and the ridicule and the humiliation and the lawsuits, he not only defended his behavior, he continued it.

Michael Jackson was a great artist. He left the world a plethora of music and performances that will undoubtedly bring joy to the masses for decades to come. But it is utter insanity to me – not that he is being held accountable to a lower standard – that he is not being held accountable at all for his failings and his shortcomings. Essentially, he is not being held accountable for being human. And perhaps, that is where the entire problem both begins and ends.

8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A-to-the-Men, Sistah. Anonymous #4 or #5 - whoever you are. Well stated. I agree.

8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, Michael molested those boys, but as Marla put it, it was not with malicious intent. It may have been Michael's way of showing affection. I agree that celebrities should not be given preferential treatment. I also believe that the punishment should fit the crime. Michael should have been in a psychiatric ward as opposed to a jail. I remember that one of the lead singers from NKOTB had set a house or building on fire. The judge did not impose a fine or sentence on him. Instead, the judge asked the singer for his autograph to give to his son. This is anonymous #2 again. sorry for the double post. I didn't think that the first one went through. Sorry....Marla for all these blogs - you might need a xanax after reading through all of them.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Marla said...

No worries at all, Anonymous #2. Your posts have been really interesting to read and I'm glad you feel comfortable expressing your opinions here. Very well done. And thank you for your thoughts on my grandfather. It happened in the '60s (he owned a jewelry store and was shot in a holdup), but the after-effects never go away. Karma indeed did rear its head in some way: One of the men died in prison in his 30s (serving time for a crime unrelated to my grandfather's murder), the other is now in his 60s and has been in and out of jail his whole life. He'll likely die there too, or at least somewhere where he's miserable and useless. Good riddance.

Anonymous #3: Your point about the drugs/surgery/pedophilia is so TRUE.

Anonymous #4/5? Brilliant. SO well said.

I gotta say, I love you guys. This has been some really excellent discourse. I have the coolest readers ever.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Tate Bartlett Henshaw said...

Yo, this is Tate. A/K/A Anonymous 4/5. This blog rocks. Especially Anonymous #1 who I am dying to meet. I revealed myself for the sole purpose of inspiring all others (especially #1) to do the same. Pretty please. If you don't you're just a "hole boll of shit." And I mean that literally.

2:04 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

Tate Bartlett Henshaw, you rule. Hi!

I'm dying to know who #1 is too. I have theories. Also, I've decided my new "oy vey" is going to be "hole balls." As in, "Oh, hole balls, I'm tired."

Out of curiosity, how did you find my blog? I'm always amazed when people read it who aren't, like, my parents. I never expected anyone else to read it. So thank you! Awesome.

As far as the whole Anonymous thing, I don't think people have to use their real names (though I do appreciate it, another reason why Tate rules), but having an identifier helps when we have something like the MJ conversation happening. I was scrolling through all the Anonymouses and counting them and then just said fuck it, which isn't fair because all of you were saying good things. So I'm all for picking something random.

2:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do people call it a passing? He died. He didn't take a test and get more answers right than wrong. Just wonderin.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Marla said...

I always wondered that too. I always figured people used it as a softer, sort of superstitious way of saying someone died — the deceased passed from life to death — but it probably stems from "passed on," so maybe it's doubly soft, as a) a way to not have to say the word "die" too much, and b) a way to avoid saying "passed on," which could imply a belief in life after death.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Tate Bartlett Henshaw said...

I prefer the term DEAD. Because that is what it is.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

why itsa monfh and this posd had not changed alreddy? that is my word.

3:17 PM  
Blogger Marla said...

I know, it's been forever. I'm working on a photo post, hopefully going up tomorrow. Pictures take forever to load. Hold onto yer hat ...

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Tate Bartlett Henshaw said...

Anon #1...is that you? Where hath thou been? I heart you Anon #1. You'll never truly know how much. And that is a prison for us both.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I was browsing the web and stumbled on your blog and lengthy post about MJ. Your opinions are opinions you dont really know what happened, if he was "sick" blah blah blah. He has 3 great kids so I think that speaks volumes about him so forget the hype and next time keep your summations shorter

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home